Did you ever wonder why you become extremely relaxed, satisfied and happy after eating turkey?
It’s because of an essential amino acid called tryptophan which the body converts into 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan).
This is then transformed into serotonin which is one of things that triggers our brain’s pleasure zones. One of the biggest 5-HTP benefits is this increased level of serotonin, which is responsible for having positive effects on many things like:
- Sleep patterns
- Aggression levels
- Body temperature
- Pain sensation
- And sexual behavior
But do you have to eat turkey all the time to enjoy the benefits of 5-HTP? Not at all. Scientists have figured out that the seeds of a plant called Griffonia simplicifoli can be used to make supplements which allow you to enjoy 5-HTP benefits without eating a turkey each day!
What Are The Benefits of 5-HTP?
5-HTP benefits come in all forms. From some of the benefits mentioned above, you can see that the positive effect on things like sleep, mood, anxiety and aggression all speak to the calming effect of 5-HTP.
From some of the other 5 HTP benefits listed above such as positive effects on pain sensation, body temperature, sexual behaviour and appetite, you can begin to see just how far reaching the effects of 5-HTP can be.
In fact, we are just beginning to understand the many different 5-HTP benefits and how they can positively affect our:
- Mental well-being
- Overall physical health
- Emotional stability
- Outlook on life
The bottom line is that the 5-HTP benefits which we receive by taking supplements made from the Griffonia simplicifoli seed provide wondrous advancements in our overall quality of life.
What Can 5-HTP Do For Me?
But the benefits of 5-HTP don’t just stop there; they get far more specific. There are a number of ailments which can be explicitly improved by 5-HTP. Let’s take a look at some of the most common ailments that are helped by 5-HTP:
- Depression – Depression can be caused by low levels of serotonin in the brain. In fact, most drugs that are prescribed for depression either increase serotonin levels, prevent the re-uptake of natural serotonin, or both. 5-HTP benefits the body and brain in the same way, alleviating stress, anxiety, insomnia and physical symptoms of depression by increasing serotonin levels.
- Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia is a painful, chronic condition which causes pain in the ligaments, tendons and joints, causing fatigue, pain and insomnia. Some of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia are caused by low serotonin levels so the 5-HTP benefits are obvious. Stiffness, pain, anxiety and depression are all treated.
- Insomnia – Just like the tryptophan in turkey can make you drowsy, concentrated levels of 5 HTP can help induce sleep and delay wake times. 5-HTP benefits you much in the same way that sleeping pills do, only the 5-HTP benefits are a 100% natural insomnia cure as well as a non-addictive sleep remedy.
- Migraines/Headaches – Headaches and migraines can be caused by the abnormal functioning of serotonin in the brain’s blood vessels. The 5-HTP benefits of increased serotonin can help correct this, alleviating pain and suffering.
- Obesity – Studies show that low tryptophan levels contribute to excess carbohydrate absorption and fat intake. 5-HTP can help reverse this, helping you to lose weight naturally and keep it off.
We hope this article has helped you understand the benefits of 5-HTP a lot more. We'd love to hear your experiences with 5-HTP in the comments or on Facebook.