Eggnog is a traditional Christmas drink, usually made with tonnes of sugar and a few drops of booze. If there’s any excuse for sugar and alcohol, we know Christmas is it, BUT amidst a season of over-indulgence, we wanted to gift you a recipe that’s both delicious and actually good for you! High in protein and healthy fats, this Christmas Collagen Eggnog is a great way to balance your blood sugar, reduce cravings, and provide a valuable dose of amino acids and B vitamins that your body is most likely crying out for.
What is eggnog made with?
Traditional eggnog includes milk, cream, spices, eggs, sugar, and rum or bourbon. We’ve stayed true to many of the ingredients, but given them a healthier (non-alcoholic) twist, and added collagen to help keep your skin, joints, hair and gut healthy.
The benefits of collagen
Collagen peptides are the superhero ingredient of this recipe. Collagen is the central protein that forms your skin, bones, hair, joints and connective tissue, making up around 30% of your entire body. The body’s own collagen production starts to decline after age 20, so if you want to maintain glowing skin, a strong body and active lifestyle, you should consider making collagen a key part of your supplement stack. Collagen can promote noticeable improvements in joint pain and arthritis, skin health, gut health and exercise recovery. Read more about the benefits of collagen peptides in our blog HERE, and grab your collagen peptides powder HERE.
Packed with nutrients, the benefits of this recipe are:
- High protein to help maintain lean muscle, balance blood sugar and keep you satisfied
- High in healthy fats to help reduce cravings, improve cognitive function and enhance hormone health
- High in essential amino acids for building and repairing tissue, promoting healthy sleep and improving lean muscle mass
- Low in sugar and carbohydrates
- Helps maintain healthy skin, joints, bones, hair and nails
- Reduces sugar cravings
- High in B vitamins, which are essential for increasing energy levels, improving brain function and mood, breaking down carbs, proteins and fats and turning them into energy, as well as preventing heart disease and cognitive decline. B vitamins become depleted through excess alcohol intake, a high-sugar diet and stress, so they’re absolutely vital to increase at Christmas!
This Christmas Collagen Eggnog recipe is also super satisfying, nutrient-dense and delicious -it makes a perfect light breakfast or snack option, or you could even serve this as a non-alcoholic eggnog cocktail to give yourself a break from the festive booze.
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice
- 1 tbsp double cream or coconut cream
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg + a pinch more to serve
- 2 scoops Love Life Supplements Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- In a large pan, add the milk, cream and spices, and bring to a boil, stirring often. Once boiling, take off the heat and leave the spices to infuse.
- Meanwhile, separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl
- Slowly whisk the spiced milk into the egg yolks, along with the collagen
- Once combined and smooth, transfer to the fridge and leave to cool
- When you’re ready to serve, whisk the leftover egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold into the eggnog mixture
- Serve with a pinch of nutmeg