Coffee is the most popular drink consumed word-wide, with over 2 billion cups consumed each day. Research shows regular moderate coffee drinkers generally have lower blood pressure, and that drinking coffee could protect us from coronary heart disease, liver cancer and liver fibrosis. Whilst a cup of coffee may be something so deeply ingrained into your morning routine you hardly think about it, there really are a host of benefits associated with coffee, including improving cognitive function and energy, a boost in weight loss, and enhancing mood. BUT, not everyone feels good after drinking coffee. if you experience jitters, a crash, or mood issues after a cup of coffee, there is a way to drink it that helps protect your gut, keep your hormones balanced, and give you a long-term energy boost without the quick come-down.
For some people, drinking a black coffee first thing in the morning on an empty stomach can actually be quite harsh on the gut lining, and cause blood sugar imbalances, so knowing how to make your morning coffee more beneficial is important if you want to get even more benefits from it. One of the best ways to drink coffee is in the form of a Bulletproof Coffee, popularised by biohacker Dave Asprey who discovered a similar traditional drink whilst travelling in Tibet. Bulletproof Coffee contains coffee, butter and MCT oil, and can enhance cognitive function, weight loss, and natural energy. In this recipe, we’ve upgraded the Bulletproof Coffee to create something that’ll give you all these benefits and more, including a significant lift in mood, enhanced skin and joint health, and an immune boost too.
The beneficial upgraded Bulletproof coffee ingredients:
- Coffee: High in antioxidants, boosts energy, cognitive function, potentially protects heart health and blood pressure
- Collagen Peptides: improves skin, hair, joint, and muscle health, and helps protect the gut
- MCT oil: Boosts metabolism, improves brain function, increases energy levels
- Butter: High in vitamin D and calcium, provides steady and long-lasting energy
- Maca: An adaptogen that helps the body manage stress, may help alleviate depression and anxiety, helps with symptoms of menopause and perimenopause, can assist fertility
- Mushroom complex: enhances brain function and immune health, reduces inflammation and improves blood sugar control.
A closer look at the benefits of the benefits of the mushroom complex:
- Reishi: Known as the ‘mushroom of immortality’ due to its major anti-inflammatory action and antioxidant effects. Can greatly enhance the immune system, reduce stress and lessen fatigue.
- Chaga: Another immune-boosting mushroom, Chaga is especially helpful for arthritis and high blood pressure too.
- Shitake: Contains antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, as well as helping control blood sugar levels.
- Cordyceps: A natural energy booster that has been shown to enhance physical performance and endurance. Can protect against asthma, depression, diabetes, fatigue, high cholesterol and upper respiratory tract infections.
- Lion’s Mane: The ultimate brain-booster, Lion’s Mane can be especially beneficial in the treatment of anxiety and depression, helps enhance cognitive function and research suggests the mushroom may also be protective against Alzheimer’s.
Combining these powerful ingredients is a convenient and quick way to provide your body with everything it needs to feel motivated, productive, energised, and to boost your metabolism. If you already drink coffee in the morning, adding these superhero ingredients is an example of stacking your habits as we discussed in our blog on the 7 Secrets To Creating Healthy Habits That Last; you’re already drinking the coffee, so why not upgrade it and make it even better
- 1 cup coffee
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- ½ to 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp mct oil
- Contents of 1 maca capsule
- Contents of 1 mushroom complex capsule
- Add everything to a heat-proof blender and blend briefly, or add to a large mug and whisk