Paleo Recipe: Primal Power Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
The following is a guest post from Lana Davison, author and health and fitness fanatic.
Primal Power Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you!
It is 100% yummy, 100% Paleo, 100% vegetarian, 100% gluten free, almost sugar free and 100% guilt free.
Oh and did I mention..... it’s super duper delicious. For an extra punch add chopped nuts, coconut flakes, seeds, fruit, cacao chocolate chunks or 85% grated dark chocolate.
- 3 Cups Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 Vanilla Pods Deseeded
- 1 Serving Primal Power Vanilla Whey Powder
- Tiny pinch of sea salt
- You will need an ice cream maker for best results. A variety of ice cream makers can be purchased from Amazon for as little as £15*
*Note: Most noncommercial ice cream makers require the bowl to freeze in a freezer for a minimum of 8 hours before using.
The Total preparation time should be around 30 minutes not including freezing.
- Pour coconut milk, 1 sachet vanilla whey powder, salt and vanilla pod seeds into a blender and mix until incorporated.
- Now leave the mix in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- Set up your ice cream maker and start the machine, then slowly pour the mix into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. My ice cream maker makes a knocking noise when it has finished.
- Once made, scoop the mix into a container and store in the freezer for an hour or so to harden. Do not worry if it appears too soft it will harden in the freezer.
- When ready to eat, remove from the freezer, allow up to ** 50 minutes to soften and eat as is or add nuts, grated 85% dark chocolate, fruit, cacao nibs etc...
** Coconut is a saturated fat, so it goes hard at room temperature. This ice cream is completely natural with no softening agent. It can take up to 50 minutes to defrost. Imagine putting butter, also a saturated fat, into the freezer and then defrosting.
Why is it so good?
Coconut contains vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
They are a good source of energy and are full of good fats containing healthy short and medium chain fatty acids called MCTs. When MCFAs are digested they are converted into energy to help increase metabolism, so the body can burn more calories.
Eating coconut helps insulin secretion and has no effect on blood glucose levels, reducing the risk of diabetes.
Coconut contains lauric acid, which is found in breast milk and known for it’s antiinflammatory properties. It is antiviral and antibacterial.
Primal Vanilla Whey Protein is no ordinary whey protein!
Each 50g serving of Primal Power contains 20g of protein, 10g of beneficial fat in the form of MCT and only 6.6g of carbohydrate (2.5g sugar). The fat is derived from the addition of MCT. MCTs are easily digested, they are sent directly to your liver where they are immediately converted into energy. Vanilla is a plant, and is used in cooking and enjoyed for its lovely fragrance. It is a great natural sweetener and known to be an aphrodisiac. Vanilla may help treat gas and fever.
Lana is an author, professional cook, food photographer and health and fitness geek. She has studied nutrition and previously worked as a personal trainer and yoga teacher. She loves experimenting with food. She likes food to be tasty, good quality and nutritionally rich, yet easy to throw together and not cost a fortune.
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/LanaDavison/e/B0089V4TJU